Why Choose Coworking
As coworking spaces begin to open around Mt. Airy, professionals may wonder whether this solution is truly right for their needs and what they should look for in an ideal space. In this article, we help workers make the best decision for themselves by answering:
Why Choose Coworking?
Coworking spaces offer a great alternative solution to the work-from-home dynamic. Working from home might be great in terms of avoiding traffic, dressing comfortably, and having a personal bathroom; however, it can be a distracting environment not conducive to productivity.
By choosing to work at a coworking office, you’ll be able to focus more on the tasks at hand. Since coworking spaces are open to the public at affordable rates, they also offer a more affordable option compared to traditional office rentals.
What Makes Coworking so Effective?
One of the biggest differences between a coworking space and a traditional office is its layout. These facilities are equal parts independent and collaborative, featuring plenty of private office spaces alongside community gathering areas. This flexible atmosphere provides the perfect environment for small businesses and growing professionals.
Because of their unique layout and accessible amenities, coworking spaces are effective at fostering creative thinking and resourcefulness. Surrounded by likeminded individuals, coworking facilities offer a great opportunity to network with others and sharpen professional skillsets.
There are several benefits to working at a coworking facility, including:
- Community: Working from home can be isolating and lonely. By contrast, coworking spaces offer a sense of community and belonging.
- Networking: Professionals across all industries, backgrounds, and skill levels gather at coworking spaces, making them the perfect place to network.
- Productivity: Relieved of all the typical work-from-home distractions, coworking spaces will help you achieve higher levels of productivity and motivation.
- Creativity: Being surrounded by other professionals can help you get more creative and innovative in the way you think about and approach work.
Affordability: Compared to the cost of renting an office space, coworking spaces offer a more cost-effective option for modern workers.
- Scenery: Working at a coworking space provides the opportunity for you to get out of the house and change up your scenery.
Members have the option of working at a designated desk, in a private office, or in one of the many community gathering areas
While coworking spaces are a great solution for many professionals, there are certain drawbacks that should be considered. These include:
- Privacy: While there are options for designated desks and private offices, coworking spaces are markedly less private than your home office.
- Branding: Unlike owning or renting out your own office space, coworking facilities don’t afford you the opportunity to brand your environment.
- Customization: If you choose the wrong coworking space, you may end up at a facility that doesn’t meet all of your business’s needs.
- Accessibility: Some coworking spaces don’t offer 24/7 access, which could be problematic for early risers or night owls who prefer to work at odd hours.
- Security: If your work involves highly confidential or sensitive data, coworking might not be the best solution in terms of security.
What to Look for in a Coworking Space
Most of the disadvantages that come with coworking spaces can be avoided just by knowing what the look for before becoming a member. There are several things that professionals should look out for when considering which coworking facility is right for them. These include:
- Location: Choose a coworking space that’s conveniently located so you aren’t wasting time on an unnecessary commute.
- Amenities: Look for coworking facilities that can provide the amenities your business needs most, such as printing, parking, Wi-Fi, conference rooms, etc.
- Atmosphere: Before becoming a member, take a tour of the coworking space to get a feel for its atmosphere and see if it feels like the right fit.
- Flexibility: If you demand flexibility from your work life, look for coworking spaces that offer 24/7 access and a mix of private and communal workspace.
- Privacy: While gathering spaces are great, it’s also important to find a coworking space that offers private offices and designated desks for you to focus.
- Budget: Look over the membership terms to find a solution that suits your workspace budget.
- Security: Feeling safe at work is a must, so it’s important to find a coworking facility that has enough security to put your mind at ease while you work.
Tips on Finding the Best Coworking Space for Your Needs
When looking for the best coworking space for you needs, there’s a lot to consider. As aforementioned, location is one of the first things to look for in a coworking facility. It’s important to weigh the pros and cons of your commute and how they may impact your ability to work.
While researching, be sure to look out for additional costs that might be hidden in your membership agreement. Some facilities will charge extra for certain amenities, so it’s best to be clear on what those fees are before becoming a member.
These days, most workers can get anything accomplished without access to high-speed internet. Ask your chosen coworking space about their internet speeds and accessibility to see if their Wi-Fi accommodations are strong enough to support your workflow.
Additionally, it’s important to consider how your coworking space can accommodate your changing needs as you grow professionally. Is there room to expand your team if need be? How long would it take to get the space you need when you need it? What are the cost differences involved? These are all questions to ask ahead of time so you can be prepared to adapt when the time comes.
Discussions, phone calls, and frequent visitors can be distracting for some. Make sure you find a place that’s conducive to your working style so you can stay focused and productive. Check the demographic of your coworking space to see who is using the facility. After all, these are the people with which you’ll be spending most of your time. It’s probably best if you can actually relate to and get along with them.
Is Coworking Right for You?
Deciding whether coworking is right for you depends on your professional journey. When making your decision, ask yourself:
- Do I want to collaborate with other professionals in my field?
- Do I need certain tools and services that my home office can’t provide?
- Do I want separation from home life and work life?
If the answers to these questions are yes, then finding a coworking space is probably a great choice for you. By doing careful research, you can find the right facility to suit your professional needs.